Alerts 50 Bus

Free school travel in Leeds

Information for residents who live within the Leeds City Council area

Important update: Education Transport staff are following Government guidance are now home working due to Coronavirus. Regretably this means:-

  • we are unable to post out paper forms by request until further notice

  • we are unable to access and process any paper forms sent to our Wellington House office until further notice

New applications

To make a brand new application, please follow these instructions very carefully. You are advised to use either a desktop or laptop PC to work on the forms - success may vary with tablets and mobile telephone devices.

  • Click one of the links below for the form
  • Save the file to your computer
  • Open the file in your word processor application
  • Complete the form by typing only in the yellow shaded boxes - do not type outside of these boxes
  • Save the file and attach to an email
  • Attach to the same email a passport style photograph (any standard image format such as jpeg) and where applicable, any supporting documents (you may have to scan paper copies and convert to PDF)
  • Send the email to with the subject line 'Leeds zero fare application'

Application form in Microsoft Word .docx format [should work in Office 365 or any Microsoft compatible application]

Application form in Open Data Text .odt format [should work in Libre Office or other non Microsoft compatible application]

You must also refer to Leeds Children's Services Transport Policy:

Leeds Children's Services Transport Policy - November 2015

If you would like further information regarding help with travel costs, please call the Education Transport Assessment Team on 0113 348 1121.

Renewals for September 2021

If you wish to renew a 2020-2021 zero fare Boarding Pass or School Pass for the new school year 2020-21, the process to follow depends upon the criteria of your award.

Distance award you do not need to do anything as we will take care of your renewal automatically. However, if you have since moved house or changed schools, you must make a new application using the links above.

Low means award, free school meals - these will be automatically renewed and we will only contact you if there is an issue with this.

Low means award, working tax credits - full and current tax credits awards notice must be provided with your application form.

Contact us:

Help and advice: 0113 3481121.

Order a replacement for a lost or damaged pass: 0113 3481122.

Alerts 50 Bus

Follow Generation M on Twitter

Get our email newsletter

For the latest news and offers direct to your inbox.