We use cookies.


This website uses cookies to increase its performance.

Is this OK?

  • Scholar's PhotoCard

    What is a Scholar's PhotoCard?

    A Scholar's PhotoCard is for 16 to 18 year old students in full-time education. It is valid from the start of the school or college academic year until the following 15 September or day before your 19th birthday (whichever is first).

    It entitles you to the following travel within West Yorkshire:

    • half-price bus and train travel.
    • half-price rail season tickets
    • buy a School Plus MetroCard
    • travel anywhere in West Yorkshire at any time of day, including evenings and weekends (except NightRider and special event services).

    How much does it cost?

    There is a £5 administration fee when you apply for your PhotoCard.

    How to get your PhotoCard

    You will need to apply in person.

    Take with you:

    • completed application form. Your school or college will supply the application form, which they need to stamp and date for you.
    • proof that you live in West Yorkshire, such as a bank statement.
    • The Travel Centre will take a photo for your smartcard.
    • Proof of identity and age, such as your birth certificate or NHS medical card.
    • £5 fee.

    Where to get it

    At any of Metro's Bus Station Travel Centres (new window).

    Travelling into North Yorkshire on Transdev services

    With a Young Person's or Scholar's PhotoCard you can travel on all Transdev Keighley & District, Harrogate & District and Coastliner services into and within North Yorkshire.

    For Keighley and District services you will be charged half fare.
    For Harrogate and District and Coastliner service you will receive a third off the fare.

    Young Persons rail travel outside of West Yorkshire

    The National Rail Conditions of Carriage allow Young persons under the age of 16 to travel at half fare on all trains. For travel outside of West Yorkshire, beyond the last West Yorkshire stopping station, full fare is payable for West Yorkshire Young Persons & Scholars Photocard holders, unless they are in possession of a discounted railcard such as a 16-25 Railcard.

  • Travel alerts
  • Journey planner
    Advanced search
  • Train departures